The L.A. County Human Relations Commission is out with a report that says that overall hate crimes in L.A. County dropped 4%, last year, except for with gays. According to their report, crimes against gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgendered people increased, and they say it was fueled by the fall out over last November’s Prop 8 initiative that banned same-sex marriage in California.
Now I can see that, however, I seriously wonder if the Commission also took into account the numerous hate crimes and atrocities committed against Blacks by white gays during that same period, and if so, do the numbers reflect that.
I have no doubt that gays continue to be the victims of hate crimes not only in L.A. County but across the country and world, especially Black gays.
But here in L.A. County, last November there were quite a few gays who were committing the hate crimes—against Black people who were both heterosexual and gay who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Angry because of the passage of Prop 8 and looking to blame someone, many gays turned their anger towards Blacks and it didn’t matter if you were gay or not all that mattered during that chaotic time was that you were Black. Numerous accounts of being called Nigga, people being accosted in their cars, etc. were reported by Black people who like I said, found themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time (i.e. Westwood, West Hollywood).
So for me to take any report seriously from the L.A. County Human Relations Commission regarding hate crimes has to explicitly detail that part of the situation because if not, then once again it appears as if gays are the poor victims of hate crimes when in fact, the street goes both ways and when upset gays know how to spew a lot of hate of their own onto others.
L.A.’s Black leadership needs to jump on that and make certain that’s reflected in the report because I can guarantee you that if a Black committed a hate crime against a gay person–it’s in the report.
And you know know this…
Oh and for my new readers over at Young’s Communications, just in case you’re confused or are getting ready to label me a homophobe in addition to a racist, check yo’ self before you wreck yo’ self–I’m a lesbian–a Black lesbian. I know…now go run and tell that.
A White Gay’s Guide on How to Deal with the Black Community for Dummies
- Chapter 1: Stop Preaching to the Choir
- Chapter 2: Blaming Blacks For White Behavior
- Chapter 3: Listen to Black Gays When It Comes to Black People…Duh!
- Chapter 4: STFU Already
- Chapter 5: Those Who Live in a Glass House Shouldn’t Throw Stones…
- Chapter 6: Why Fighting for Gay Marriage is a Privilege
- Chapter 6.2: STFU Part Two and Why I am Going to Start the ‘Black Alliance Against Defamation From Gays’
- Chapter 7: Prop 8 and the Fallacy of Single Issue Politics
- Chapter 8: The Sad Professor
- Chapter 9: Take a Chill Pill
- Chapter 10: Why Are You So Paranoid?
- Chapter 11: Leave the Sexuality of Historic Black Leaders Alone
- Chapter 12: What About the Hate Crimes That Gays Committed on Blacks Last November?